For our tenth edition of the Book Club (this time ‘Online’) we will read a powerful and breathtaking rewriting of Greek Mythology, following the heartbreaking love between Achilles and Patroclus following events on Homer’s The Illiad.
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, and our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
Greece in the age of heroes. Patroclus, an awkward young prince, has been exiled to the court of King Peleus and his perfect son Achilles. By all rights their paths should never cross, but Achilles takes the shamed prince as his friend, and as they grow into young men skilled in the arts of war and medicine their bond blossoms into something deeper – despite the displeasure of Achilles’ mother Thetis, a cruel sea goddess. But then word comes that Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped.
Torn between love and fear for his love and friend, Patroclus journeys with Achilles to Troy, little knowing that the years that follow will test everything they hold dear. This rendering of the epic Trojan War is a dazzling feat of the imagination, a devastating gay love story, and an almighty battle between gods and kings, peace and glory, immortal fame and the human heart.
**About the Book Club in the ‘Gay & LesBian Social The Netherlands’ Meet up Group**
This event will never feel like a literature lesson, but a fun and cozy event. Its purpose is of connecting like-minded people through literature. We are a group of home readers, literature enthusiasts, and those willing to improve their reading habits.
A short overview of the regular event is:
– Welcome drinks with selected music chosen for the book
– Short Introduction of the Book of the Month
– Reading of selected central pieces of the book
– Open conversation about the main topics of the book, characters, structure, and personal impressions
– Selection of the book for the next session
– Get to know each other and Goodbyes
Next books will be selected democratically in the end of every session and are always a pro-LGBTQ, or friendly material.
Please only sign up if you truly will read and plan to come to the Book Club. If you sign up, please UPDATE your participation on time and please avoid short-term cancellations! People on the ‘waitlist’ will be automatically included.
Please buy/borrow your own copy of the selected book. Ideally everyone will have read the book before the session, but not mandatory. Support a local book shop whenever possible.
It would be great if you would like to support the discussion. Drop me a line and we will coordinate something for you to share with the other (e.g. read selected parts of the book, present some characters, go deeper on main subjects, etc.).
EVENT WILL BE HOSTED ONLINE VIA THE ZOOM APP
BEFORE THE MEET UP STARTS
1. Install & Test Zoom from https://zoom.us/test
You can use mobile, tablet or laptop (recommended by me due to stability of connection/camera)
2. Make sure your video works
3. Make sure your audio works
4. Make sure you can view the video at https://vimeo.com/400912265
WHEN THE MEETUP BEGINS
1. Open the link I will send via email and private message the day before the event
2. I will be there to welcome you and we will virtually connect with the others.