For our October Edition of the Book Club we will read an innovative and gender-defying novel, Paul Takes the Form of a Mortal Girl debut novel by Andrea Lawlor, an emotionally immersive journey.
It’s 1993 and Paul Polydoris tends bar at the only gay club in a university town thrumming with politics and partying. He studies queer theory, has a dyke best friend, makes zines, and is a flâneur with a rich dating life. But Paul’s also got a secret: he’s a shapeshifter. Oscillating wildly from Riot Grrrl to leather cub, Women’s Studies major to trade, Paul transforms his body at will in a series of adventures that take him from Iowa City to Boystown to Provincetown and finally to San Francisco—a journey through the deep queer archives of struggle and pleasure.
“Everything Paul knew boiled down to this one gimmick: try for what you want”
**About the Book Club in the ‘Gay & LesBian Social The Netherlands’ Meet up Group**
This event will never feel like a literature lesson, but a fun and cozy event. Its purpose is of connecting like-minded people through literature. We are a group of home readers, literature enthusiasts, and those willing to improve their reading habits.
A short overview of the regular event is:
– Welcome drinks with selected music chosen for the book
– Short Introduction of the Book of the Month
– Reading of selected central pieces of the book
– Open conversation about the main topics of the book, characters, structure, and personal impressions
– Selection of the book for the next session
– Get to know each other and Goodbyes
Next books will be selected democratically in the end of every session and are always a pro-LGBTQ, or friendly material.
Please only sign up if you truly will read and plan to come to the Book Club. If you sign up, please UPDATE your participation on time and please avoid short-term cancellations! People on the ‘waitlist’ will be automatically included.
Please buy/borrow your own copy of the selected book. Ideally everyone will have read the book before the session, but not mandatory. Support a local book shop whenever possible.
It would be great if you would like to support the discussion. Drop me a line and we will coordinate something for you to share with the other (e.g. read selected parts of the book, present some characters, go deeper on main subjects, etc.).
EVENT WILL BE HOSTED ONLINE VIA THE ZOOM APP
BEFORE THE MEET UP STARTS
1. Install & Test Zoom from https://zoom.us/test
You can use mobile, tablet or laptop (recommended by me due to stability of connection/camera)
2. Make sure your video works
3. Make sure your audio works
4. Make sure you can view the video at https://vimeo.com/400912265
WHEN THE MEETUP BEGINS
1. Open the link I will send via email and private message the day before the event
2. I will be there to welcome you and we will virtually connect with the others.